Why Auckland NOW?
Population Increase and Tourism
- The population is currently estimated to be over 1.66 million and is the most populous region within New Zealand. The projection for 2043 is close to 2.5 million.
- One in three New Zealanders call Auckland home.
- Twenty-eight airlines bring more than two million international visitors to Auckland annually. We may be the last bus stop on earth and hours away from other countries, but if there was an invisible bridge connecting New Zealand with the rest of the world – it would start in Auckland.
Employment and Business
- It’s the heart of New Zealand’s technology, commercial services, and food and beverage processing sectors.
- Over 100 multinational companies have chosen to place their Asia-Pacific headquarters in Auckland, and this continues to grow.
- Auckland’s labour force increased by 292,400 people between 2000 and 2016 – that is a huge 33 per cent growth that translates to an average growth rate of 2.2 per cent per annum, yet we are still experiencing shortages of labour within Auckland.
- Auckland has held third place on The Mercer Quality of Living Index for the 6th year in a row, 2011-2017.
- Auckland continues to hold this title in 2019.
- There is a housing shortage of approximately 60,000 in Auckland alone (Stuff, 2019).
- For every 10 people who need housing, four will live in a rental (NZ Herald).
- From these figures, we can see that rentals will be in strong demand for the foreseeable future.
Lifestyle and Entertainment
- Beaches – From the West Coast’s wild surf beaches such as Muriwai and Piha to the North Shore’s relaxed and family friendly beaches, Auckland’s residents are spoilt for choice.
- Food – From fine dining to multicultural choices, Auckland has clusters restaurants serving authentic and downright tasty food.
- Festivals and Concerts – Every year thousands flock to a multitude of festivals embracing Auckland’s myriad ethnicities, such as Diwali, the Chinese Lantern Festival and Pasifika Festival. Auckland is usually first choice for top music artists including New Zealand in their world tour.